Weight Loss Simplified, Tips on How to Lose Weight from Long Island Registered Dietitian
Weight loss misinformation misleads! Food Fads and Fad Diets are defined as unusual diets and eating patterns that promote short-term weight loss, with no concern for long-term weight maintenance or overall health. These diets are often trendy and may be popular for short periods of time. Food fads and fad diets have no scientific basis and promote ideas that consuming (or not consuming) certain food items, vitamin and mineral supplements, and combinations of certain foods, will help one lose weight or prevent/cure a disease. Examples include the “Paleo diet” or “low carb diet” or “Keto diet”.
As a registered dietitian and nutrition consultant, these are simple and evidence based tips to help you lose weight.
Weight Gain occurs when you eat more calories than you expend. If you consistently burn all the calories that you consume in a day, you will maintain your weight. If you consume more energy (calories) than you expend, you will gain weight.
Healthy weight loss strategies:
- Practice portion control and develop portion awareness
- Eat mindfully – listen to your body’s hunger and fullness cues
- Choose less calorie dense foods
- Choose less highly processed foods
- Enjoy foods from all food groups
- Avoid restrictive (calories or nutrients) diets
- Develop healthy eating behaviors and habits
- Beware of focusing on results (numbers on the scale)
- Focus on goals: what you need to do that will help you reach and sustain a healthy weight
- Think positive: What I will do rather than what I will not do